Friday, September 21, 2012

19. Birthday Cake Blues


I used to work for a major weight loss program, which shall be nameless.  With obesity rates in the United States approaching the 50% mark, the program was turning out to be a platinum mine, for the owners.
          My job was to provide group counseling for our enrollees.  I also focused on how to substitute appropriate for inappropriate behaviors associated with eating.  You know the drill, always eat at a table, never eat while watching TV or reading.  Yada, yada, yada.
 I always told my classes they knew more about calorie content than I did.  But we were meeting to learn ‘mindful’ eating.  Sort of like a Buddhist retreat for chunky monkeys.
One of my clients was a sweet faced woman about 45 who was cute as a button, but the button was for a supersized jacket.  She never missed an appointment and took lots of notes.  She was a star performer, on a great losing streak, working off one to two pounds a week. 
However, at her most recent weekly appointment she had not lost any weight, which wasn’t that unusual for people trying to regain a healthy weight level.  But she had gained two pounds.  I went over her daily activity and food intake chart with her to find out what had happened.  Hopefully, if we located a problem she could avoid it in the future.
I pointed out one notation for Sunday and asked, “What does, “Badly Behaved Cake” mean?  Did it jump into your mouth and force you to chew and swallow?”
She sighed.  “I wish I could say that, but I was badly behaved not the cake.”
            “Well, that’s what we’re here for--to learn about behaviors-- so what happened?”
          “It was my husband’s birthday so I made his favorite chocolate cake.  We each had a slice and with four kids that meant half of it was eaten that night.  I put the rest of it away in the freezer.  I thought it would be easier for my husband to slice a piece for himself each night and easier for me to ignore it if I couldn’t see it.”
“That sounds like a good plan,” I complimented her.  “Out of sight, out of mind.” 
“Unfortunately, that’s not what happened.  It was more of an ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder’ plan.”
The rest of our group started smiling as if they knew what was coming.
“I couldn’t stop thinking about that cake and how good it looked and how good it tasted when I ate my small piece the night before.  I kept thinking about it and thinking about it.”
“Ok, now Linda, we’ve talked about this before.  What are you supposed to do?”
“I know, get out of the house or start cleaning a bathroom.”
I nodded encouragingly.  “That’s right.  So you know what you should have done.”
“Yeah, my mind knows, but my mouth overrides it.  I finally couldn’t stand it any longer and took it out of the freezer, cut a thin slice, and ate one thin slice at a time until the whole cake was gone.”
“Well, that wasn’t a good decision.  But now you can learn from that mistake.”
“Oh, gosh.  I’m not done yet.”
Now I was getting concerned.  “What else happened?”
Cindy, another group member with a love of chocolate, wanted to know more, too. “Yeah, we need full disclosure here.”
Linda continued, “I was so upset with my lack of willpower.  How could I eat all of my husband’s favorite cake.  He was probably looking forward to some when he came home for work. “
I pushed her to keep going, “What did he say when he discovered you ate the rest of his birthday cake?”
She laughed and admitted, “He never found out.”
I shook my head to clear it. “I don’t understand.  I can’t believe he forgot about it.”
“No, he didn’t forget.  I just hurried and made another cake and ate half of that one, too.”
                                      THE END

 

2 comments:

  1. I'm still laughing at this....Very funny Amy!!! A punchline and everything. I'm sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. I did work in the behavioral side of weight control, but the story is made up.

      Delete