Saturday, August 18, 2012

16. Cat with a Positive Attitude

My friend, Diane, was cat less due to a series of unfortunate events dooming even the liveliest cat she had rescued.
“I’m cursed, Michelle” she moaned.  “No cat should come within 100 feet of me.”
“You’re not cursed,” I argued trying to cheer her up.  “Things happen to animals that we can’t control.  You’re an excellent cat mother.  And all those cats had wonderful lives after you rescued them.”
“But their lives were so short!” she twisted her hands in misery.
“They might have been even shorter if they were on their own.  A car could have hit them, or they could have been carried off by a coyote.  They were safe, and well fed, and well-loved while you had them.”
“Yeah, yeah, I know.  But I can never have a cat again.  I can’t go through this anymore.” She shook her head, her short brown hair flipping back and forth.
“Maybe a more positive attitude would help,” I suggested.
“Positive thinking?  Positive thinking will help me keep a cat alive?”
“Well, no, not exactly,” I backed off.  “Actually, I’m thinking it might help if the cat had a more positive attitude.”
“Are you out of your mind?” She looked at me with big, round green eyes that looked like a surprised kitten. “Even if it would work, how can I give a cat a more positive attitude, especially a rescue cat that’s been abandoned and mistreated?”
I held up my hands slowly.  “Just hear me out.”
Diane got up from the soft, easy chair in her living room.  “Oh, I’ll hear you out, Michelle.  How about out with you?”  She started walking towards the front door.
“Come on,” I pleaded.  “You love cats and I want you to have one for a long time so you won’t continue feeling guilty.”
“OK, what’s your idea?  Not that I’m going to follow it.” 
“Since you’re a teacher you know how important it is for your students to feel good about themselves and how you give them little chores to build up their confidence.”
“Yeees.  But cats won’t do little chores. They aren’t going to wipe down the chalk board or carry my books.”  She laughed at the thought.  Good, I was at least helping her feel less depressed.
“How about this?  What if you gave your next cat…” I held up my hands again as she started to argue that there would be no next cat.  “If you gave your next cat a positive name?”
“What? Like Norman Vincent Peale?”
I laughed this time.  “No, I mean a name like Lucky.  Call your little bundle of fur Lucky.”
“And that will help him, how?”
“There are some people who believe that names are destiny. And I do agree that the last five cats you rescued were not lucky.  Well, they were lucky when you rescued them, but not so lucky when the…”
She interrupted.  “I don’t want to talk about it.  Ok, I’ll give it a try.  If I ever have a rescue cat again, which I won’t, I will call it Lucky.”
That was all I needed to hear.  I knew she wouldn’t refuse the next offer of a cat that needed a good home.  A few weeks later she called to tell me the news.  She now was taking care of a beautiful, but skinny, black and white female cat that had been living on its own for over a month, according to the person who had noticed her and finally caught her.  The cat was in good health, except Diane needed to fatten it up with generous meals.  As time went by, Lucky thrived and even got fat and then fatter.  In fact she got so fat, Diane took her to the Vet to see if the cat was OK.
“I’m going to be a grandmother,” Diane smiled as she told me the good news.  “I’ve never had new born kittens around, lots of cats but no little ones.”
“That’s wonderful.  So this cat is having good luck.” I enthused, mentally patting myself on the back for my name suggestion.
“Not everything is wonderful.  The vet said Lucky might have some delivery problems, so she will have to be monitored carefully to get her in to the office in case she needs help.”
“I’m sure Lucky will be lucky.”
“My fingers will be crossed.  And I’ll let you know how it all turns out.”
As Lucky’s delivery date loomed near, I sent more and more positive thoughts her way.  I know it sounds crazy but I’ve read that quantum physics, a very serious science, shows everything in the universe is connected, so positive energy can be effective.
Finally, Diane called me.  “I don’t know if the name Lucky gave my kitty a positive attitude because she did have a difficult delivery.”
I broke in, “But how is she and the babies?”
“They’re all healthy and in good shape.  The vet said it was a miracle they all survived since Lucky’s pelvis must have been broken at some time in her past life.”
“I’m glad they’re all OK and if my name suggestion worked that’s great. How many babies are there?”
“She had 5 sweet things and I’ve already named them:  happy, joy, cheery, delight, and of course, Lucky2.”
                                                             The End

2 comments:

  1. I'm testing how to write a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute story! Especially considering the name of your blog! LOL
    We eat Lucky Charms twice a week and now replaced them with a generic brand called Marshmallow Mateys--do you think we'll be less lucky?

    ReplyDelete